Monday, November 17, 2008

Which is Worse?

Today I'm faced with a dilemma. It is the question of which is worse, the dreaded block or directionless writing.

The first is a lack of words. The second is not short of words but direction. Where am I going with these words? They are coming incessantly, in waves and floods but they are going all over the place with no stops or a destination in mind. Like superman going hyper on caffeine, zipping to Paris and when he gets there he zips back to the starting point because he doesn't know why he went to Paris in the first place. Then, he has this notion he wants to go the Africa and maybe pass by Congo because he heard some shooting there. He saw the situation in Congo and it was bad. He carries on going but he forgets his next destination and why he wants to go to Africa in the first place. Our superman now sounds like he has a bad case of Alzheimer's and zips back to the original starting point. He starts to ponder his trip to Paris and Africa, what he saw when he was flying there. So while he is doing that he thinks that it might be nice to visit China and see if the people there might need help because of the earthquake. He takes off immediately but the people had already got the situation under control. What is he going to do now? Where is he going to fly to now? Superman found himself asking, "What do I want to do now?" The answer he found within the depth of his heart was: "I don't know."

Finally, he decides he'll sleep for a while before thinking about what he wants to do next. Maybe he will have an answer tomorrow.

Maybe tomorrow I'll find the answer to what I'm going to do with Superman besides having him zip here and there looking for some trouble to solve.

There you have it. Lots of word but going nowhere - directionless. Which is worse?

Well, at least I've gotten rid of the clutter of the Superman story off my mind. Another layer of clutter removed, one more layer less to disseminate. I think I'm nearer to the heart of the real story. We'll see whether I'll find the real story or will have to peel off another layer of clutter.

Someone once said that writing is a process of discoveries. So then, on with the journey of discovery. I will be brave.

No comments: