Thursday, October 21, 2004

What Makes a Writer a Writer?

What makes a writer a writer? That is a very important question for anyone who aspires to be a writer. I'm sure the answer will as diverse as there are writers. Each writer will have to answer it for himself or herself. For me it is very simple. A writer is a writer when he/she writes. Don't call yourself a writer when you don't write. A writer will most definitely write and read. The more the writer writes, the more the writer will want to read and the more he/she reads the more he/she will want to write. Write, read. Read, write. One cannot do without the other when one is a writer. So, for me the answer can be summarize into two words. A writer is a writer when he/she writes and reads.

Yesterday I did precisely that along with every day mundanes of life. I wrote, slept, read, and the other things all ordinary human do that I will spare the detailed account in this blog. Also, for the reason of plain etiquette that I will leave it to the imagination of those who have the misfortune of stopping by my blog. Anyway, may you be spared that upset stomach that next time you stop by. Ciao, cheerio, and whatever.

After having said that I must add though that sometimes writers do this too --

Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing.
Margaret Chittenden -Writer

Sigh... what a wonderful life ; )

No comments: