Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Almost Derailed Again

It’s so strange, isn’t it? Every time I try to write I’m filled with longing to play games. The conscious side of me wants to run away and it’s always to want fun, play games with the computer. It never fails. I’ve never noticed it before until now. The yearning is so overwhelming that I can literally feel my heart pound and I just want to get away rather than face thinking up words or scenes. Why is that?

I love writing. When I’m not in front of the computer I can’t wait to get to it. I’d get the feeling of such excitement just thinking what a wonderful time I’d have pounding the keyboard, churning out words. Then, when I’m in front of the computer I’d think of something else to do with the computer like checking emails, checking search engines and you-name-it-I’ve-tried-it on the Net except write. Woe is me. Woe is me. I do the very thing I don’t want to do and I don’t do the thing I want to do.

The only way to rid of this menace and hindrance to my writing is to just ignore the fear. Ignore the cold sweaty palms, the mad hammering in my heart to run away from the task at hand and just pound the keyboard with whatever that is in my head at that very moment. That’s the way to beat it. Write the fear. Write it away even if the writing comes out is useless to anyone. The purpose is to start the engine even it the engine is hard of starting. Even though the engine screams in protest cranked it anyway. Turn the ignition anyway no matter how painful and how loud it coughs and screams in objection.


Will it work? I hope so. I'll fill you in on my progress. Now there's a story I must finish. I have it in my head and I've to get it out in words somehow. Yeah, that's it. Just do it. Ignore the fear, the cold sweaty palms already developing and waiting to burst out. Must maintain composure. Stay with it. Stay with it. On to battle, brave heart.

No comments: